Monday, October 17, 2011

Halloween Movie Countdown: "Shutter Island"



"Personally, Doctor, I'd have to say 'screw their sense of calm...'"


I have decided to save the Halloween Movie countdown for the last 13 days of Halloween (like ABC Family, I know...). This is purely due to the fact that I have been busy working on several theatre productions lately as well as some film projects and of course, Halloween! I thought it would be great to start this years countdown with one of my all-time favorites, Shutter Island.



To me, this film is a masterpiece. While directing the movie, Martin Scorsese made sure that all vital elements to a great production were there: plot, spectacle, character, theme, language, and music. Shutter Island explores arguably several themes, but the main one being presented in one simple question "Which would be worse, to live as a monster or die as a good man?"


Now, I don't want to give anything away because I am one of those people who never spoils the secrets of a great film in hopes that people will just watch it for themselves, but I will say this: it is the ultimate psych-thriller and it keeps you on the edge of your seat literally throughout the entire movie. Trust me it's definitely worth seeing and will probably require multiple viewings as most people feel mind-boggled after watching it for the first time... which Martin Scorsese would only have done to us intentionally. Hey, it takes place in a mental institution... we should feel crazy by the end of it, right?


Movie Trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment